What I'm Doing
A /now page.
I’m working a lot right now. I got a new job in December, and while it’s still a 9-5, it’s taking up a lot more of my mental space than previously — I’m a sysadmin, and the move to management requires quite a bit of a mental shift.
As a result of the Coronavirus pandemic, I’ve been working from home for the past couple of weeks. This has sadly not lead to people discovering that a lot of meetings could/should be emails, as they have discovered video meetings. Because I can’t ever have nice things.
As everycunt won’t stop fucking mentioning, there’s a pandemic going on. I’m in a higher-risk group due to previous coronary issues.
I hate the world.
Will resume when I have mental capacity. I dug out a bunch of short stories and made a wee anthology as a way of teaching myself Affinity Publisher, but I havne’t come up wit anything new in far too long. Between work and the ongoing pandemic I do not have the processing power available.
Given the above, I’m not currently accepting freelance work. I have no confidence in my ability to hit deadlines right now.
Festivals and Events
- I’d’ve been running Fælore — a drum and fire group for this year’s Beltane Fire Festival. Since the festival has been cancelled, no idea what’s going on with that.
- Unsæli might be playing the Lindisfarne Festival, assuming that goes ahead. It hasn’t been cancelled yet, but person.
- Fuck-all in the meantime. Pandemic, innit.
- Drum HUB and the Knockengorroch Spring Session were fucking amazing. It’s a shame you missed them.
Currently, I’m drumming with three crews:
- Unsæli (drums, fire, and folklore)
- The Noise Committee (a community drum crew)
- Big Drums (a small performance/teaching crew)
While that may seem a lot given my previous comments about work, one of the most notable physiological and psychological effects of drumming is its ability to relieve stress and impose order on chaotic thinking; it’s one of the few things that leaves me feeling better about the world.
That and gin.
Now, however, I’m not drumming with anyone. Can’t get to a rehearsal room with anyone. This is having exactly the negative effect on my mental health that you might think.
Doing this as a series of lists was a terrible fucking idea, I can’t keep this shit current. I don’t have the attention span.
- Star Trek: Picard was rather good. I know some people didn’t like how it ended, but I did.
- Like the rest of the internet, I’ve got sucked in to Tiger Kings. The whole span of human shittyness in a show.
- I’m rewatching The Expanse in order to be properly primed to get into season 4.
- There’s a niggle in the back of my mind that I should really check whether American Gods was any good after the first season, but I’m not sure I can be arsed…
- Current popcorn viewing is Brooklyn Nine-Nine since the new series dropped on Netflix.
I should probably listen to some, rather than the World Service and Radio 4. My listening hasn’t changed much since about 2008, which was a good year for angry bands with northern accents and guitars.
I put together an anthology of my short fiction, called This Book Contains No Geese, which you can buy on Kindle. Some of the stories are (nearly) new, some date from 2004, before I even moved to Edinburgh. Give it a read.
Marvel Unlimited continues to give me way too much access to comics for my own good.
- Current highlights include Immortal Hulk and what Jonathan Hickman’s doing with the X Men.
- Current lowlights include anything Absolute Carnage and the drivel that is Dan Slott’s Iron Man. And yet I still read them.
- Sex Criminals is amazing, but you should’ve known that by now.
- DIE is amazing. And the related RPG is really great.
Nothing’s really grabbing me like Hickman’s grand arc from Ultimates to Secret Wars, or Fraction’s Iron Man. Or James Roberts’ MTMTE/Lost Light.
- Finished the main story of Control. That was a hell of a lot of fun, I should to through and replay some side missions. Need to do some more stuff before jumping on the DLC.
- Moved on to finally trying to finish Dishonored 2, which I’m enjoying a lot. Not sure if it’s quite as good as the first, but I’m still enjoying it a lot.
- Just Cause 4 is happily brainless entertainment; I’m enjoying it more than the 2016 Doom, (which I find surprising)
- I’m not making much progress with Untitled Goose Game. I don’t care. HONK
- WATCH_DOGS 2 manages to be not quite good enough to scratch an itch, not quite bad enough to be frustrated with. It’s just there.
What is This?
This page is a brief guide to what I’m up to right now. It exists to give a similar answer to if we met in a pub and you asked “So, what’re you up to these days?”
That last sentence is horrible. I’ve had better days.