What I'm Doing
A /now page.
As a result of the Coronavirus pandemic, I’ve been working from home since mid-March. This has sadly not lead to people discovering that a lot of meetings could/should be emails, as they have discovered video meetings. Work now features between two and six hours of video meetings a day Because I can’t ever have nice things.
As everycunt won’t stop fucking mentioning, there’s a pandemic going on. I’m in a higher-risk group due to previous coronary issues.
Due to the UK rules on “lockdown”, I haven’t seen my girlfriend for over a month. Video calls are stressful given I’m spending so much fucking time on them with work. Not exactly fun.
Will resume when I have mental capacity. I dug out a bunch of short stories and made a wee anthology as a way of teaching myself Affinity Publisher, but I haven’t come up with anything new in far too long. Right now I do not have the processing power available.
Given the above, I’m not currently accepting freelance work. I have no confidence in my ability to hit deadlines right now.
Festivals and Events
- I’d’ve been running Fælore — a drum and fire group for this year’s Beltane Fire Festival. One of the pieces I wrote will show up in BOnFire, an online celebration of Beltane.
- Unsæli might be playing the Lindisfarne Festival, assuming that goes ahead. It hasn’t been cancelled yet, but I’m not optimistic.
- Fuck-all in the meantime. Pandemic, innit.
Currently, I’m part of three crews:
- Unsæli (drums, fire, and folklore)
- The Noise Committee (a community drum crew)
- Big Drums (a small performance/teaching crew)
One of the most notable physiological and psychological effects of drumming is its ability to relieve stress and impose order on chaotic thinking; it’s one of the few things that leaves me feeling better about the world.
That and gin.
None of us are practicing or performing right now, of course. This is having exactly the negative effect on my mental health that you might think.
Doing this as a series of lists was a terrible fucking idea, I can’t keep this shit current. I don’t have the attention span.
- I thought I’d hate Detective Pikachu, or at least that it’d be a soulless cash-grab, but it was actually a fun story with bonus Pokémon, to the point that I’m actually miffed I didn’t see it in the cinema.
- There’s a niggle in the back of my mind that I should really check whether American Gods was any good after the first season, but I’m not sure I can be arsed…
- Current popcorn viewing is Brooklyn Nine-Nine since the new series dropped on Netflix.
I should probably listen to some, rather than the World Service and Radio 4. My listening hasn’t changed much since about 2008, which was a good year for angry bands with northern accents and guitars.
I put together an anthology of my short fiction, called This Book Contains No Geese, which you can buy on Kindle. Some of the stories are (nearly) new, some date from 2004, before I even moved to Edinburgh. Give it a read.
Marvel Unlimited continues to give me way too much access to comics for my own good.
- Current highlights include Immortal Hulk and what Jonathan Hickman’s doing with the X Men.
- Current lowlights include anything Absolute Carnage and the drivel that is Dan Slott’s Iron Man. And yet I still read them.
- Sex Criminals is amazing, but you should’ve known that by now.
- DIE is amazing. And the related RPG is really great.
Nothing’s really grabbing me like Hickman’s grand arc from Ultimates to Secret Wars, or Fraction’s Iron Man. Or James Roberts’ MTMTE/Lost Light.
- Control was a lot of fun, as was Dishonored 2. Taking a break from both of them now I’ve completed the main campaign, and waiting on the DLC going on sale.
- I’m thoroughly shit at Total Warhammer, but for some reason that isn’t stopping me.
- Just Cause 4 is happily brainless entertainment; I’m actually enjoying it more than the 2016 Doom, which I’m surprisingly not enjoying as much as I’d like
- I’m not making much progress with Untitled Goose Game. I don’t care. HONK
- WATCH_DOGS 2 manages to be not quite good enough to scratch an itch, not quite bad enough to be frustrated with. It’s just there.
What is This?
This page is a brief guide to what I’m up to right now. It exists to give a similar answer to if we met in a pub and you asked “So, what’re you up to these days?”
That last sentence is horrible. I’ve had better days.