What I'm Doing
A /now page.
As a result of the Coronavirus pandemic, I’ve been working from home since mid-March. This has sadly not lead to people discovering that a lot of meetings could/should be emails, as they have discovered video meetings. Work now features between two and six hours of video meetings a day Because I can’t ever have nice things.
As everycunt won’t stop fucking mentioning, there’s a pandemic going on. One of the relatively nice things that’s happened involves no longer being in a higher-risk group, as the heart surgery I had last year has gone Just Fine™.
I’m able to see people now, after a very painful couple of months. Video calls remain stressful given the amount of focus they require at the best of times; I’m avoiding them as much as possible.
In a move to avoid doomscrolling1, I’m spending some time away from Twitter. My Facebook is already a heavily-curated echo chamber, and anyone who thinks I’m somehow wrong for that can fuck themselves with a rusty fence-post.
Will resume when I have mental capacity. I dug out a bunch of short stories and made a wee anthology as a way of teaching myself Affinity Publisher, but I haven’t come up with anything new in far too long. Right now I do not have the processing power available.
Given the above, I’m not currently accepting freelance work. I have no confidence in my ability to hit deadlines right now.
Festivals and Events
- Fuck-all. Pandemic, innit.
I’m part of three crews, which will hopefully all resume once things ease off:
- Unsæli (drums, fire, and folklore)
- The Noise Committee (an Edinburgh-based community drum crew)
- Big Drums (a small performance/teaching crew)
One of the most notable physiological and psychological effects of drumming is its ability to relieve stress and impose order on chaotic thinking; it’s one of the few things that leaves me feeling better about the world. Well, that and gin.
None of us are practicing or performing right now, of course. This is having exactly the negative effect on my mental health that you might think.
Doing this as a series of lists was a terrible fucking idea, I can’t keep this shit current. I don’t have the attention span.
I’ve been re-watching Archer for the hell of it (and because it’s helping justify my alcohol intake) but my ability to focus is generally shot. I do have a lot of time for Matt Berry swearing it up in What We Do in the Shadows, but it gets cringe if I watch too much at once. I’m trying to get back into shout-along-a-University-Challenge but it’s no fun without other people.
I should probably listen to some, rather than the World Service and Radio 4. My listening hasn’t changed much since about 2008, which was a good year for angry bands with northern accents and guitars.
I put together an anthology of my short fiction, called This Book Contains No Geese, which you can buy on Kindle. Some of the stories are (nearly) new, some date from 2004, before I even moved to Edinburgh. Give it a read.
Marvel Unlimited continues to give me way too much access to comics for my own good.
- Current highlights include Immortal Hulk and what Jonathan Hickman’s doing with the X Men.
- Current lowlights include anything Donny Cates is writing (seriously, nobody gives a shit about emo twat-god Knull, give it a rest) and the utter crap that is Dan Slott’s Iron Man. And yet I still read them.
- Sex Criminals is amazing, but you should’ve known that by now.
- DIE is fantastic. And the related RPG is really great.
Nothing’s really grabbing me like Hickman’s grand arc from Ultimates to Secret Wars, or Fraction’s Iron Man. Or James Roberts’ MTMTE/Lost Light. Though I wonder how much on that front is down to the aforementioned problems with attention.
- Unavowed is pretty much exactly what I want from an urban fantasy point & click adventure game.
- Disco Elysium is the Platonic form of adventure game. Grind it up and jam it into my veins.
- I’m thoroughly shit at Total Warhammer, but for some reason that isn’t stopping me.
- The various Lego games are proving entertaining now I’ve got the time and boredom to push ever-closer to 100%. Though I’m sick and bastard tired of the sheer volume of fetch quests in Lego Marvel Superheroes 2, probably because the world map is a shitty mess.
What is This?
This page is a brief guide to what’s going on in my life right now. It exists to give a similar answer to if we met in a pub and you asked “So, what’re you up to these days?”
That last sentence is horrible. I’ve had better days.
Obsessively reading social media posts about how utterly fucked we are↩